- 16-Feb-2014 to 30-Jun-2014 (CST)
- Food Ingredients
- Chaska, MN, USA
- Full Time
Comprehensive medical and dental plan, company paid life and disability insurances, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, holiday pay, and matching 401(k)
"Together, we make ideas that work," customizing ingredients to meet an amazing variety of customer needs.
QualiTech is a privately held, diversified company with aggressive growth plans. Our Food Ingredients Division is a leading supplier of inclusion and particulate ingredients to the food industry, with a record of strong performance for over 25 years.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated candidate for a Senior Scientist/Project Manager position that will report directly to QualiTech's Senior Director of R&D. QualiTech offers great opportunities for professional growth, working to serve retail and wholesale food industry leaders. We invite candidates who wish to make an industry-wide impact by unleashing their creativity in developing new products to apply.
The Senior Food Scientist will provide technical leadership for new product development, creating delivery systems for flavor, color, and texture for use across a broad range of food product categories. This role will work closely with other business functions including Sales, Marketing, Operations, Quality, Customer Service, and Procurement. In addition, responsibilities include assisting sales to support customer needs for applications expertise, as well as making strong contributions to continuous improvement efforts for operations.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
Creation and commercialization of new ingredients; technology transfer activities (50%)
Sales and customer technical support; build business partner relationships (25%)
Operational efficiency support (continuous improvement efforts) (10%)
Open innovation, identification of new technologies (10%)
Development and mentoring coworkers (5%)
- Create new and innovative delivery systems for colors, flavors, and textures for a wide breadth of product applications.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for colors, flavors, and product applications
- Capture opportunities to generate intellectual property
- Collaborate with sales and marketing to partner with customers in product development efforts
- Develop or replicate products/flavors for customers' requests.
- Provide technical support to other functional groups within the company including Quality Assurance, Production, Purchasing, Applications and Sales.
- Develop new processing methods and new or improved foods to create healthier and safer food products with a longer shelf life. Develop experimental designs to determine shelf life of products
- Develop production specifications
- Evaluate processing and storage operations in plants and work with engineers and plant operators.
- Supervise and advise on processing and packaging operations.
- Improve the quality of products.
- Minimum of a BS degree in applicable scientific discipline: Chemistry, Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Grain or Milling Science – graduate degree preferred
- Exhibit excellent technical problem solving abilities and judgment, as well as attention to detail
- Broad background of application experience preferred with colors, flavors, baked goods, RTE cereals, and snack foods
- Strong experimental design and statistics background
- Demonstrated history of developing technical plans for complex projects, exhibiting strong project management skills, effectively prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work within manufacturing plant settings
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of time for technical support
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to work under pressure, and meet stringent deadlines
- Demonstrates an accurate and practical approach to work
- Partners and teams with cross-functional work groups
- Strong ability to work independently and be self-motivated, adjust to changing priorities, and show flexibility and organization skills
- Strong working knowledge of chemistry, food safety, process engineering
- Able to apply principles of algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics
- Strong communication skills
- Applies solid judgment and decision making considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and choosing the most appropriate option
- Project management: Establishes project goals, milestones, and procedures, defines roles and responsibilities, acquires project resources, coordinates projects throughout company, monitors project progress, coordinate multiple projects
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in product development and formulation, process engineering, carbohydrate and oil chemistry, cereal chemistry
- Thorough understanding of design of shelf life studies, and the influence of formulation and processing on shelf life
- Strong influence and advocacy skills
- Highly developed communication and presentation skills, with great interpersonal skills for working closely with internal as well as external customers (sales, marketing, operations, R&D, customer service)
- Passion for creating ingredients that deliver great visual, taste, and textural experiences for customers
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Project Management
- Results Focus
- Technical Skills
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!